Deki Schools Programme
Deki is the UK’s first person-to-person microfinance charity. Through our crowd-funding website anybody can support businesses in the developing world to achieve sustainable livelihoods. We empower entrepreneurs in Malawi, South Sudan, Ghana, Uganda and South Africa. Deki loves working with schools to teach them about international development, world poverty, and microfinance. We work with schools from infant level right through to postgraduate university students. Working with Deki is different from other charities as when children raise money they have the opportunity to choose exactly where 100% of the money raised goes to - this is hugely empowering for a 6-year-old (or even an 86-year-old!)
Deki Tenner Tournament
Can you change a life with a tenner?
The Deki Tenner tournament is an exciting opportunity for students to develop their entrepreneurial skills, have fun and directly change the lives of other people in the developing world.
How does it work?
- Students learn about Deki, microfinance, what it means to live and work in the developing world
- They then are given the opportunity to set up their own businesses with a £10 loan
- They have 4 weeks to turn the investment into as much money as possible
- At the end of the month the winning team is crowned the winner of the 'Deki Tenner Tournament'
- All money raised is invested by the students with their chosen entrepreneurs
- If the school beats the current record held by Sefton Park Primary School, Bristol (£4,476) they will be awarded the overall 'Deki Tenner Tournament Schools Trophy' to keep until the record is broken
Why get involved?
It’s a great opportunity for students to learn a new range of skills, build confidence, champion leadership, engage in some team work, as well as have some good old fashioned fun!
Not only that, but best of all they be directly changing lives of people living in poverty.
There is also the opportunity to set up an individual school lending team which can then be managed by the school for further fundraising activities.
Want to know more about the Deki Tenner Tournament?
Contact: Bryony Spooner
Marketing and Communications Director
0117 942 8970